Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Duffy's Motel - Only $17.95 a night

Duffy's Motel - Only $17.95 a night

Who's willing to try it out? The sign says new rooms are open, never mind how old and rusty the sign is.

This is an example of an old hotel that is on an old highway and still in business because of a lucky location. In this case, right off I-75. Today, and for decades, many families have come through here on their way to Florida. Who knows how far back the hotel goes but the road goes back to the 30s as the Dixie Highway, and today as US 41. Either way, most everyone from here to Chicago would pass this way.

I was by myself when I took this picture. When I showed it to my wife, she asked if it was near Calhoun, GA. Indeed, this is at the I-75 exit for Calhoun. Apparently when she was a kid, her family stayed here several times on the way to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment