Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Cumberland City Ferry

Cumberland City Ferry

As a kid, my mom once took me along on an errand run. Along the way, she took me way out of the way to get where we were going. She had us cross the Cumberland River at the Old Hickory Blvd. Ferry. After we had crossed, she told me, "We came this was so you could ride on the ferry. You may never ride on one again." I wish that I had been old enough to appreciate it.

It's tough for a ferry to remain open these days. If the traffic slows down, the ferry goes out of business. If the traffic gets busier, the locals ask the state to build a bridge. I've been to many former ferry sites in Tennessee, but as of now, only two remain. (The other is the Danville Ferry, about 20 miles from here, which crosses the Tennessee River near Big Sandy.)

This ferry is located at the town of Cumberland City in Stewart County. The ferry allows highways TN46 & TN233 to cross the Cumberland River seven days a week. A one way ride costs a dollar, but locals get a discount.. Even this ferry "Patience" replaced an older ferry: www.tn.gov/tdot/article/ferryservices-cumberlandcityferry

Watch my video of the crossing: www.youtube.com/watch?v=88WjqYPDTGY

No comments:

Post a Comment