Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Friday, September 23, 2016

Overton County Courthouse - Livingston, TN

Overton County Courthouse (2013) - Livingston, TN

This was my third visit to Livingston, and the same thing has happened all three times: On a day the weather radar said would be mostly sunny, I get here to find solid cloud cover. At least on this day, the sun peaked through to shine upon the building but about two minutes after taking this photo a downpour came from the sky and I had to run back to my car. On my previous visit here, as I was driving away I ended up passing a kidney stone while I was in my car and since that didn't happen on this visit, I'd say things were better.

There have been some changes to the grounds since my previous visits. A fountain has been added to one side between my 2008 and 2011 visit. In 2011, there was some red, white and blue bunting added to the windows, which made things more colorful, but they are now gone. There is a positive for people wanting to see the building and that is some large trees were removed making this angle a lot easier to view.

This courthouse is one of the oldest ones in the state, which might not be a surprise, with its big box-like brick appearance. This courthouse was built in 1868-69. It was built on the same foundation as the previous courthouse which dates back to 1855 but was destroyed by a fire just over a decade later. The two story building has a gabled roof and pedimented detailing at each end. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.

No comments:

Post a Comment