Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Thursday, June 7, 2012

The old entrance to Wonder Cave

The old entrance to Wonder Cave

The cave is located near the base of Cumberland Plateau in Grundy County. Back in the days of the Dixie Highway and later highway US41, the turn to get to the cave was located at the last turn before making the ascent to Monteagle. Everyone travelling from Nashville to Chattanooga would have passed nearby, about a mile from here.

As has been the case with many "impulse" tourist attractions, the opening of the interstate killed off this business. Now people take I-24 through the area and the Cave soon went out of business. It reopened again but soon closed again circa 2000. Even though it's not open commercially these days, I hear it's possible to get in the cave if you do a little research, not that I'm advocating you hop the fence I'm standing behind right here.

There's a sign on the front of the building on the right. Part of the paint has worn off and you can see how it used to be a sign for people selling loans. (unless Wonder Cave tried to make loans as a method to stay open.)

10 comments:

  1. Sad to see such a prominent fixture go away. I remember traveling there as a child and seeing all the cars out front,the people tying on the bumper signs and the goats on the cliff by the water. It was THE place to be in the 60's and even the 70's.
    I understand the cave has experienced some significant vandalism, especially on the lower levels. The cave is protecting by federal law and I hope the lowlifes that did that were caught punished and locked up. Anyone that sorry .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm from Monroe Louisiana an I have a grandma an grandpa who lived in monteagle an now in Winchester I went to wonder cave as a child In the 70s I don't remember much about it we always rode by on the pelham hwy I would love to purchase the whole assets an bring the cave back to its glory some 1 ought to send or call the national register of historic places get it registered as a historic attraction let the state list the cave in its tourisim guide would love to own it mam196571@yahoo.com interesting place love ir

    ReplyDelete
  3. how exactly would you enter wonder cave is there another entrance or would you repel beyond the gate house also if anyone can tell me if crystal cave connects to wonder or which way you go in crystal cave it'd be appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  4. you cab swim in -- it 75 feet. Wear a headlamp!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a hole in the ground you can go in through. It is very small, so if you are a large person you wouldn't fit. It is at the base of the cliff in the rocks. You have to look carefully or you will miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is actually considered the new entrance. The original entrance is a small hole, but when they decided to make this open to the public years ago they blasted a larger whole for tourist to go in an out of. The picture about is what used to be the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We recently bought land in Monteagle and plan to visit the area in August. Is there anyone that we can contact to see the entrance to the cave or is it off limits to visitors. Thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember staying two nights at the bed and breakfast ,that house was beautiful ,the lady in charge there was so very nice,there was another couple there as well,we had a great time ,,,,that was in 1992 I think ,,,my dear friend I went with found it somehow and we loved it ,he has since passed ,and I haven't forgot that place it was very special to us even more

    ReplyDelete
  9. My great grandparents lived down the road from Wonder Cave. I use to walk to the cave, tell them who I was and they would let me go on tours for free. There's a second entrance that's has metal bars blocking it, and lots of water moccasins. We use to shoot the moccasins from a log bridge near by. Sad it's closed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First passed it by in about 1957 and always wanted to stop. Finally took my kids there in about 1981. They loved it enough to still talk about it. Wish is was still open...

    ReplyDelete