Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Friday, February 26, 2021

Burial Site of Gov. William Carroll

Burial Site of Gov. William Carroll

William Carroll (March 3, 1788 – March 22, 1844) was an American politician who served as Governor of Tennessee twice, from 1821 to 1827 and again from 1829 to 1835. He held the office longer than any other person, including the state's only other six-term governor, John Sevier. He is considered one of the state's most popular political figures of the 1820s, and is credited with initiating numerous legal and tax reforms.

Gov. Carroll is buried at Nashville's City Cemetery. About five minutes after I took this photo, I met a descendant of Gov. Carroll. This gentleman happens to be on the board of directors for the cemetery. I guess I had the look of someone really interested in the history as he offered me a personal tour of the cemetery.

A few years ago, an associate challenged me to find all of the Tennessee Governor's burial sites. This is #14 in my quest, so I am finally taking it seriously. My list: SWT) William Blount 1) John Sevier 3) Willie Blount 5) William Carroll 9) James K Polk 13) William Trousdale 14) William B. Campbell 15) Andrew Johnson 17) William G. Brownlow 22) Alvin Hawkins 23) William B Bate 25) John P. Buchanan 35) Austin Peay 36) Henry Horton 44) Ray Blanton.
See all of them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment