Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Monday, January 28, 2013

Anniversary of the Challenger Disaster

Space Shuttle Challenger Memorial - McCaysville, GA

Located on the bank of the Toccoa River by the old bridge in McCaysville, GA is this memorial to the seven astronauts who died in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster.

The Challenger disaster is one of the most common "Everyone remembers where they were when they found out" moments. I was in the 2nd grade and when we got out of PE class, our teacher told us about it. My older brother was a huge NASA fan and when I got home from school, we watched the live news coverage for a good part of the afternoon.

This is the first time I have found such a memorial. I can't find any particular connection between McCaysville and the disaster (such as one of the astronauts being born or living here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment