Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Post Card Tuesday: Clingman's Dome Observation Tower



Observation Tower atop Clingman's Dome,
Elevation 6642 feet
Great Smoke Mountains National Park

I've driven up to Clingman's Dome twice in my life. The first time was about 20 years ago, well before I had my first camera. The next time was 6 years ago, and on that day it was so smoky that there was no point for me to walk to the top.

View from Clingman's Dome

I don't know how long it has been since the wooden firetower-esque observation deck has been replaced with the modern curvy walk, but it was at least 20 years ago!

Last weekend, I was back in the Smokies, but south of here along the Cherohala Skyway. When you get to those higher elevations, the leaves turn their colors early, and you avoid the bigger crowds.

No comments:

Post a Comment