Sunday, August 28, 2016
This building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as First Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
According to the Tennessee Historical Commission marker:
Built 1899. Thus church is an example of Gothic Revival architecture. The exterior of the sanctuary consists of standing buttresses, towers, a copper spire and cross, and pointed arch stained glass windows. Transept windows were designed and installed by the renowned Jacoby Company of St. Louis in 1901. The interior features a cruciform plan and vaulted ceiling. The church was organized in 1860 in Humboldt, and in 1867 a small frame building was built east of the present sanctuary.