Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Replica Civil War Cannonball - Elizabethtown, KY

Replica Civil War Cannonball - Elizabethtown, KY

In 1862, Confederate General John Hunt Morgan led his troops into Elizabethtown to capture the city, but more importantly disrupt the railroad. During the skirmish, over 100 cannonballs were fired into the city, and one became lodged into the side of the Depp Building on the town square.

Unfortunately, 15 years later that building burned down in 1887. Afterwards, the ball was salvaged from the rubble and given to local resident Annie Nourse for safekeeping. A few years after the building was rebuilt, the ball was placed back into the 2nd story of the wall as close as they could approximate to the orignal location. Also added is an arrow pointing to it and a metal plaque. Miss Nourse wrote about the story in the local newspaper in 1932:

"...a fire destroyed that entire block and the cannonball fell with the wall. I...asked...the owners of the building to give me the ball, and they both kindly consented. I told the boys about it, that I would give 25 cents to the one who would find it and bring it to me. A lively scramble instantly ensued in the pile of hot bricks. I left them digging and went on home. In the afternoon a man brought it to me and demanded $5.00 for it. I told him it was already mine. After some hesitation he decided to leave it for 50 cents, which I gave him. Many years after...I restored it to the bank and they had it placed in the same spot as near as possible (in the new building), where it is seen today..."

Replica Civil War Cannonball - Elizabethtown, KY

No comments:

Post a Comment