Saturday, January 9, 2016
Cragfont, located in Castalian Springs, TN, was the home of War of 1812 Brigadier General and Memphis founder James Winchester. Construction was started in 1798 and completed in 1802 by artisans from his home state of Maryland. It is listed with the National Register of Historic Places and is open for tours. It is owned by the State of Tennessee and administered in partnership with the Tennessee Historical Commission by the non-profit group Friends of Cragfont.
At the time the home was completed, it was the largest home in Middle Tennessee. The exterior is made of Limestone quarried nearby. The most distinctive feature may be the seven six-pointed metal stars. The stars are not only for decoration, as they are caps on poles that span the entire mansion to hold it together in case of earthquake.