Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Robert E Lee Motel sign (refurbished)

Robert E Lee Motel sign (refurbished)

About a year ago, when driving the old Lee Highway north of Bristol, I went looking for the old Robert E Lee Motel, which had a wonderful neon sign but had closed a few months earlier. The neon sign was gone and the motel was in serious disrepair. I ended up staying the night in the non-chain motel across the street. The lady at the front desk told me the sign was removed just a week before my stay and even though they were the competition, she was sad to see them go out of business.

Fast-forward to about a year later. I'm driving the Lee Highway again, but this time I'm going further north to Abingdon, VA. Much to my shock, there's the sign! The neon tubes have been removed, but the sign has otherwise been restored to its previous glory and permanently mounted at RC's Storage. I believe they will take care of the sign as they had other vintage things on display here.

No comments:

Post a Comment