Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Skateland - Memphis, TN

Skateland - Memphis, TN

In my endeavor to photograph everything that catches my interest around the great state of Tennessee, I maintain a list of over a thousand points of interest I would like to photograph. I have spent several years cultivating this list and visit many every year, while adding just as many.

Every so often I find something fantastic that wasn't on my list. This massive neon sign is one of them.

I was passing through Memphis on my way to something else when I was getting hungry. I considered eating at the Panchos here - just as my family used to do quite often as we would pass through town. But I was in a hurry and looking for something quicker.

My GPS told me to take White Station Rd. to get to my next destination. Out of the corner of my eye, I caught a massive neon sign, but didn't get a good look at it. All I really saw were two red wings, so my first thought was it was a large neon Pegasus like the one which my dad told me lit up the Dallas skyline when he was a kid.

You're probably more interested in the story of the sign than the story of me finding it, so this makes for a great read:
www.memphisflyer.com/AskVanceBlog/archives/2009/07/19/ska...

No comments:

Post a Comment