Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Monday, July 14, 2014

Greyhound Half Way Station - Jackson, TN

Greyhound Half Way Station - Jackson, TN

The subject of many images from my photostream is nostalgia, although rarely do any of these places outside of Nashville have any personal meaning to me before I photograph them. This is a rare exception.

Growing up, my family would spend every Christmas in the Dallas suburbs to be with my grandmother. In the Christmas of 1986, the rest of my family took the car because they were able to get away sooner leaving my dad and I needing alternate transportation when my school break came up. For the first (and so far only) time I traveled by bus alongside my dad. We departed downtown Nashville late and made a scheduled stop here close to midnight.

I am told this is the oldest functioning Greyhound Station in America, dating back to 1938. (It's even listed on the National Register of Historic Places.) As a kid making a stop here, that was lost on me. Today, I love the Art Deco architectural design of the place, but I don't think I would have even noticed back then.

The one thing I do remember from our midnight pit stop is my dad had to go to the counter to get a token for me to be able to use the bathroom. It was the first and almost certainly the last Pay Toilet I've ever been to. I would suspect most people my age and younger aren't even familiar with pay toilets.

1 comment:

  1. i was there in 2016. the pay toilets werent. but still vintage commode sand such, with modern plumbing. such a time capsule.

    ReplyDelete