Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye to 2012 - See Ruby Falls and See Rock City barn

See Ruby Falls and See Rock City barn

According to the Flickr Interestingness measure of how popular a photo is, this was my most popular photo of 2012. Tomorrow, we will start to learn what 2013 may have in store.

If you live in the not-so-deep south, if you were to think of an advertising barn, you'd think of the many "See Rock City" barns that used to be all over the countryside. This barn used to be one of those. At some point, however, the rival barn painting tourist trap from Lookout Mountian was permitted to repaint this barn with a "See Ruby Falls" message in their colors of red and turquoise.

This barn is on U.S. Highway 41 right on your map where it says Noah, TN in Coffee County, just north of Manchester. With the construction of Interstate 24 about 40 years ago, this highway is less often used now. So this was probably painted before then, and would have been a rock city barn before that. Rock City Paint was some high quality mixture, and has been known to outlast many things. The ruby falls paint has chipped just enough that the Rock City white is beginning to show through.

Make sure you see the Meramec Caverns ad on the other side:
www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/7374326586/

I now have a total of 77 different Rock City Barns I have photographed and uploaded to Flickr in my Rock City Barns set. People often ask me how I've found so many of them. I have drawn from many resources such as books and web sites and sometimes luck, but there's not really one "go to" place to find them all. Well, now on my website, I have tried to create a one stop source for the locations of all of the barns I've been to. On my Map of Rock City Barns page, I have plotted each barn on a Google Map.

No comments:

Post a Comment