Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Post card Tuesday: Rock City Overlooks



This Chrome era post card dates back to 1951.

I've heard my parents and grandparents talk about the good ol' days. Back then, kids could play with lawn darts with metal tips on them, baby high chairs were made of metal, and tourist attractions atop a mountain didn't have guard rails.

In the view here, there are two different overlooks. In the background, we have the famous Lover's Leap overlook where they say you can see 7 states. In the foreground is a small cantilevered walkway where there's not much under you, except for quite a drop. If you've ever seen a picture of Lover's Leap in the 1930's, there was nothing except your good judgement from walking off the edge. It didn't take too long for them to add the stone-and-mortar walls so that it was safer for the family. From my visits to Rock City, I can't seem to find a photo of the observation spot in the foreground. (I took pictures from there, not of there.) I don't know when the guard rails were added to the stone walls, but they certainly make me feel safer.

Rock City Lover's Leap

No comments:

Post a Comment