Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Monday, January 2, 2012

New for 2012: Post Card Tuesday!

I'd like to introduce a new feature for the SeeMidTN.com Blog: Vintage Post Card Tuesdays. Before I ever had a real camera, I liked to collect post cards, vintage and modern. (Maybe that's what inspired me to become a photographer in the first place.)

Each Tuesday, I'll post a scan of a vintage post card. Many of these places are still around. Some are long gone. Even the ones that are still around may have seen some changes over the 50 to 100 years. If I've taken a photo of the location, perhaps we can see a now and then comparison, too.

To start, I'd like to begin with this post card, one of the earliest obtained for my personal collection. (One that my wife bought me, in fact.) This is a linen-era card of the James Robertson Hotel in Downtown Nashville (and also featuring Fort Nashboro) .



The James Robertson is not a hotel anymore. Today, it's an apartment. Located on 7th Ave., it is Nashville's second oldest remaining hotel building. (The Hermitage is 1st.) Built in 1929, the hotel was named after the founder of Nashville. The architect that designed this building also designed the TN State Supreme Court building (next to the Capitol) and the Frist Center (old post office). Almost not surviving the great depression, it had gone back-and-forth from a hotel to apartments since 1978, when it permanantly became low income dowtown housing. The Renainnace hotel dwarfs it in the background.

"The James Robertson" - Nashville

Here is a closeup of the architectural detail:

James Robertson Architectural Detail

No comments:

Post a Comment