Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Wednesday, May 27, 2020

Knoxville Confederate Cemetery Monument

Knoxville Confederate Cemetery Monument

I first learned of this confederate monument here on Roadside America:
www.roadsideamerica.com/story/37547

Perhaps I didn't follow instructions well as I had trouble finding it. I started at the nearby Calvary Catholic Cemetery driving up and down every turn. Then, I found the nearby Odd Fellows Cemetery and the Potter's Field Cemetery. Then, I was at Walter Hardy Park when I thought I spotted it on the other side of a large fence.

I drove back to Bethel Ave., where I found a gate to the fence that appeared to be accidentally unlocked. I knew I was in the right place because there was a historic marker for "Confederate Cemetery" on the other side of the fence. I opened the gate and felt like I was breaking in to someone's back yard as there was a house inside this fenced area. There were even a couple of parked cars around the monument, one of which can be seen here. As it turns out, the area may only be open to the public on Saturday's, so I arrived on the right day. The home which was the original caretaker's cottage is apparently a museum today. As I was leaving, another couple who drove all over Calvary Catholic Cemetery parked next to me on the street as they were looking for the same thing.

Here is the text of the marker:
During the Confederate War, 1861-1865, more than 1600 Confederate soldiers and about 50 Federal prisoners were buried here. About 20 Confederate veterans have been buried here since the war. The tall monument was erected in 1892 by the Ladies' Memorial Association.

See also:
www.tennesseerivervalleygeotourism.org/content/the-bethel...

No comments:

Post a Comment