Saturday, February 25, 2017
Facing the town square, the Meigs County Courthouse was completed in 1904 at a cost of $4,000 after the previous one burned down. Many design elements of the previous brick courthouse were recreated here, such as the arched entrance, a stocky tower and stone trimmed window lintels. Other features include low pyramidal roof with gables on each face.
This courthouse has seen significant change in the last two decades. Most notably is the addition and modern entrance which faces highway TN58. The new section is wide instead of long, and both portions back up to each other with a small glass connector. Cosmetically the brick and stone foundation is a matching color. Much of the stonework around the windows on the historic section used to be painted white but not anymore. For several decades, the clocks on the tower were missing but now they have been restored. The courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.