Home     Daily Blog     Galleries     Maps     Contact

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Orchard Knob: Pennsylvania Union Soldier Statue

Orchard Knob: Pennsylvania Union Soldier Statue

With the Civil War battles in and around Chattanooga, the oft overlooked Orchard Knob is a small historic battlefield with good news and bad news. The good news is it is rich with history, with numerous interesting monuments all within a short distance of each other. The bad news is it's located in what many would consider a bad part of town, so you might not want to go by yourself. I'm willing to drive most anywhere, but here there's not a convenient place to park (unless parking on the street is ok, and I don't know if it is). Still, I wouldn't go to the top unless I hid the valuables in my car and went with a buddy. All of the monuments photographed here were seen near the street, but someday I'd like to go to the top where the monuments are quite grand.

Today, the site is under the oversight of the National Park Service as part of the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park. For the full story of what happened here during the Civil War:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga_Campaign#Orchard_Knob

To see my other Orchard Knob photos:
www.flickr.com/photos/brent_nashville/tags/orchardknob/

No comments:

Post a Comment